About Icinga 2
Generally, Icinga is an open-source monitoring solution, a derivative of the well-known Nagios Core system. Thus, it is a next monitoring systems generation – shipped with built-in features for scalability, reporting, and data graphic presentation. This set of components can be enabled on-demand. Icinga2 provides external interfaces compatible with Icinga 1.x, like the IDO DB (Icinga Data Out Database). Developers have introduced the built-in cluster stack secured by SSL x509 certificates for distributed monitoring and parallelized service checks in this second version.
Distributed monitoring and parallelized service checks
Icinga has an ability to define network host hierarchy using “parent” hosts, allowing detection of and the distinction between hosts that are down and those that are unreachable. In addition, it has the ability to define the handlers to be run during service or host events for proactive problem resolution.
Ticket escalation to next support level
Icinga can notify contact persons when service or host problems occur and get resolved (via email, pager, or user-defined method) as well as escalate the alerts to other users or communication channels.
Integration with HelpDesk/CRM systems
Event handlers are optional system commands (scripts or executables) that are run whenever a host or service state change occurs. In other words, they are executed on the system where the operator schedule (initiate) the checks.
An obvious use for event handlers is the ability of Icinga2 monitoring to proactively fix problems before anyone receives the notification. Some other uses for event handlers include:
- Entering a trouble ticket into a HelpDesk system
- Send notification to a client via CRM system
- Restarting a failed service
- Logging event information to a database
- Monitoring of network services (SMTP, POP3, HTTP, PING, etc.)
- Check of host resources (CPU load, disk usage, etc.)
- Monitoring of server components (switches, routers, temperature and humidity sensors, etc.)
Sending alerts by SMS
Clickatell SMS gateway enables businesses, financial institutions, governments, and communities to leverage mobile messaging to inform, alert, notify, transact, interact, and share data.
Jasper Report integration
Icinga Reporting module based on open source Jasper Reports for both Icinga Classic and Icinga Web user interfaces. This module provides:
- Template-based reports (e.g. Top 10 problematic hosts or services, synopsis of complete monitoring environment, availability reports, etc.)
- Report repository with varying access levels and automated report generation and distribution
- Optional extension for SLA reporting that distinguishes between critical events from planned and unplanned downtimes and acknowledgment periods.
Though Icinga is great for monitoring the availability and status of hosts and services, it’s often good to reflect the monitored performance and plan ahead. Also, being able to view performance data in the form of graphs allows us to detect trends and potential problems. The following tools are just a handful of popular open-source graphing addons compatible with Icinga. Icinga 2 contains a built-in implementation of performance graphing via add-ons such as PNP4Nagios, NagiosGrapher, InGraph, Graphite and Grafana. There is a module to integrate Icingaweb2 and Graphite.
If you have any questions or need Icinga2 support, feel free to contact our team.